Welcome to Now in Android, your ongoing information to what’s new and notable on this planet of Android growth.
Now in Android can also be provided as a video and podcast.
In the event you didn’t have time to devour the content material of Google I/O ’22 completely summarized within the earlier Now in Android episode, listed here are 3 issues to learn about…
Fashionable Android Growth!
- Jetpack Compose is in model 1.2 Beta already.
- Use Baseline profiles to enhance the efficiency of your app.
- Give Stay Edit a attempt, an Android Studio device to edit composables and think about the modifications in actual time.
- Constructing Put on OS and health apps is less complicated than ever. Compose for Put on OS is already in Beta, and new libraries and APIs corresponding to Well being Providers and Well being Join had been launched.
- Google is all-in on tablets. Android 12L and 13 have an enormous variety of optimizations for big screens, together with the duty bar, multi-tasking, keyboard and mouse assist, and a compatibility mode for purposes.
- We’re right here to assist you! We made vital updates to steering, testing, and instruments to make you extra productive when growing and testing for various kind elements.
Android Privateness, Platform & Safety!
- We just lately launched the primary Privateness Sandbox on Android Developer Preview, so you may get an early have a look at the SDK Runtime and Subjects API. This gives a path for brand new promoting options that enhance consumer privateness with out placing entry to free content material and companies in danger.
- The brand new Google Play SDK index is a public portal that lists over 100 of essentially the most broadly used business SDKs. It accommodates info like which app permissions the SDK requests, statistics on the apps that use them, and which model of the SDK is hottest, so you’ll be able to consider if an SDK is true for your small business and your customers.
- The second Beta of Android 13 is now out there. You possibly can improve your app with Android 13 options like app-specific language assist, themed app icons, and rather more.
If you’re an indie video games developer, take a look at our Accelerator and Pageant applications, the place you will have the possibility to spice up your sport’s visibility, get coaching, and faucet into our group of gaming consultants.
These applications are designed that can assist you develop it doesn’t matter what stage you’re in:
- If you’re a small video games studio on the lookout for assist to launch or develop a brand new title, enter the Accelerator to get unique coaching by mentors and trade consultants;
- Or, when you’ve got already created and launched a top quality sport that’s prepared for the highlight, enter the Pageant in chosen European international locations, Japan or South Korea. for an opportunity to win promotions and attain new gamers.
Let’s check out what’s been up with AndroidX releases because the final episode of Now in Android.
Model 1.8 of Core and Core-ktx are actually steady! They enhance Kotlin usability with higher annotation assist and APIs corresponding to
FileProvider, and in addition add new interfaces to permit parts to obtain picture-in-picture and multi-window mode change occasions in
If you wish to work with UWB (ultra-wideband) supported units, a new UWB library has been launched in alpha which gives a set of APIs for builders to work together with UWB-enabled units.
Takeshi wrote about recognizing your UI jank utilizing the CPU profiler in Android Studio. The article goes by means of a step-by-step walkthrough about the right way to use the brand new jank detection UI in Android Studio Chipmunk together with the right way to file a hint, and the right way to examine janky frames.
Rebecca Franks wrote about customized Canvas animations in Jetpack Compose. Utilizing the
Animatable states and a few side-effects, you’ll be capable to obtain customized animations as you had been capable of do with
ValueAnimator within the View system.
In the event you’re interested by Materials You dynamic shade, Rebecca Gutteridge talks about how the Chrome staff applied it and the issues they saved in thoughts corresponding to accessibility, customized colours, incognito, and extra. It additionally comes with a extremely useful checklist of suggestions from the designers and builders of the staff.
I wrote about ViewModel occasions! We’re very opinionated about what to do with ViewModel occasions in our UI occasions Structure steering, and this weblog put up explains why the options to our suggestion would possibly convey greater engineering prices to builders and a worse consumer expertise.
In the event you’re interested by Compose and Google Maps, Chris Arriola wrote concerning the classes realized whereas constructing Maps Compose. You’ll see how they took benefit of Kotlin options, the right way to goal for binary compatibility, subcomposition, and extra!
That’s it for this time, with recaps of Google I/O 2022, applications for indie video games, extra AndroidX releases, and articles about UI jank, animations in Compose, dynamic shade, UI occasions, and Maps Compose! Come again right here quickly for the following replace from the Android developer universe.